The extended reporting deadline for the reporting and registering of new allegations of minor sexual abuse expired on April 30, 2018. The Registration Portal is now closed.
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF ROCKVILLE CENTRE, NEW YORK
INDEPENDENT RECONCILIATION AND COMPENSATION PROGRAM (“IRCP”)
February 1, 2018
Deadline for Submission of a Phase II Claim is April 30, 2018
The implementation of Phase II of the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program was announced on January 31, 2018 by Bishop John O. Barres of the Diocese of Rockville Centre, and follows the ongoing Phase I program established to pay victims of alleged clergy sexual abuse of minors. Read Press Release
The Administrators, Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille S. Biros, will implement Phase II of the IRCP and will continue to work with Bishop Barres and the distinguished members of the IRCP Independent Oversight Committee.
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre (the “Diocese”) comprises the territory of Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Phase II of the IRCP is purely voluntary; no individual is required to participate in the Program. Only if the individual is satisfied with the compensation provided and signs a release does the individual agree to waive rights to litigate against the Diocese.
- Mr. Feinberg and Ms. Biros retain complete and sole discretion over all eligibility decisions and the settlement compensation amounts for eligible victims. By agreement, the Diocese cannot reject the Administrators’ final determinations as to eligibility and amount of compensation.
- If you have previously registered on the Program website for Phase II of the IRCP, alleging sexual abuse of a minor by clergy of the Diocese, you will be sent a Phase II IRCP Claim Form packet.
- If you have not previously registered you may do so through this Program website (see the Registration link below).
- Submitted information will be maintained in strict confidence in conjunction with Phase II of this Program except that it will be forwarded to the appropriate office of the District Attorney by the registrant and the Diocese for initial review of the allegations. In addition, the Diocese will have the matter investigated by its own independent investigators and may have it reviewed by its Diocesan Review Board.
- An Independent Oversight Committee will continue to oversee the implementation and administration of the IRCP.
- Individuals filing a claim with the Administrators will be required to offer supporting documentation of such sexual abuse.
- Individuals who previously settled their sexual abuse claims with the Diocese of Rockville Centre will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
- Individuals who allege sexual abuse as a minor by a member of a religious order or clergy of another diocese are not eligible to participate in the Program although the claims will be forwarded to the superior of the religious order or bishop of such diocese.
- Eligible claims will be paid within 60 days from the time that a submitted claim is deemed eligible and compensation is determined and accepted.
- The effective date of Phase II of the IRCP is February 1, 2018. All claims submitted to the Administrators must be postmarked no later than April 30, 2018.