On October 1, 2020, the Diocese of Rockville Centre announced the filing of a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Effective October 1, 2020 the IRCP must immediately cease operations of the review and processing of all remaining unresolved claims and outstanding determinations submitted to the IRCP.
CONSECRATED RELIGIOUS, INCLUDING PRIESTS, BROTHERS, AND SISTERS (members of "Religious Orders") WHO HAVE WORKED UNDER CONTRACT OR BY OFFICIAL ASSIGNMENT IN THE PARISHES, SCHOOLS OR CHARITABLE AGENCIES OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF ROCKVILLE CENTRE
January 29, 2019
Effective January 29, 2019, The Diocese of Rockville Centre has implemented Phase III of the Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program addressing claims of abuse by members of Religious Orders, who have worked under contract or by official assignment in the parishes, schools or charitable agencies of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre. and follows the ongoing Program established to pay victims of alleged clergy sexual abuse of minors. The Administrators, Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille S. Biros, will implement Phase III of the IRCP and will continue to work with Bishop Barres and the distinguished members of the IRCP Independent Oversight Committee.
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre (the "Diocese") comprises the territory of Nassau and Suffolk counties.
- Phase III of the IRCP is purely voluntary; no individual is required to participate in the Program. Only if the individual is satisfied with the compensation provided and signs a release does the individual agree to waive rights to litigate against the Diocese.
- Mr. Feinberg and Ms. Biros retain complete and sole discretion over all eligibility decisions and the settlement compensation amounts for eligible victims. By agreement, the Diocese cannot reject the Administrators’ final determinations as to eligibility and amount of compensation.
- Individuals who are known to have made a complaint of child sexual abuse against a member of a Religious Order to the Diocese directly or to the IRCP Administrators by registering the allegation during Phase II of the Program prior to January 29, 2019, the effective date of this Phase III, will be sent Program materials, including a copy of this Protocol, the Claim Form, and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Submitted information will be maintained in strict confidence in conjunction with Phase III of this Program except that it will be forwarded to the appropriate office of the District Attorney by the registrant and the Diocese for initial review of the allegations. In addition, the Diocese will have the matter investigated by its own independent investigators and may have it reviewed by its Diocesan Review Board.
- An Independent Oversight Committee will continue to oversee the implementation and administration of the IRCP.
- Individuals filing a claim with the Administrators will be required to offer supporting documentation of such sexual abuse.
- Individuals who previously settled their sexual abuse claims with the Diocese of Rockville Centre will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
- Individuals who allege sexual abuse as a minor by a member of a religious order or clergy of another diocese are not eligible to participate in the Program although the claims will be forwarded to the superior of the religious order or bishop of such diocese.
- Eligible claims will be paid within 60 days from the time that a submitted claim is deemed eligible and compensation is determined and accepted.